Mrs. Elizabeth Bemus, in 1907, revealed her plans for starting a public library in Bemus Point. She donated land adjacent to her home on the west side of Center Street in the village. The library opened in December of 1908 with Mrs. Bemus as librarian in which position she continued until 1929.
The Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System was instituted in 1963 and the Bemus Point library became a participating member library.
In March of 1968, the library was moved from Center Street to the new building at 13 Main Street. A concerted effort of citizens and organizations was responsible for this move, including the fund raising, cleaning, decorating, wiring and equipping the library. Shelving and a card catalog were donated by the Art Metal Corporation of Jamestown.
Board Members are elected by the Bemus Point Study Club; there are seven trustees on the Board. The Bemus Point Study Club was formed in 1903 and has been the vital support group for the library continuously since that date.